The short version
Reading Ways are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We use your personal information as this Privacy Statement describes. Of course, the short version and the Summary below don't tell you everything, so please read on for more details.
- What information Reading Ways collects: Reading Ways collects information directly from you for your registration and user profile. We also automatically collect from you your usage information, cookies and similar technologies, and device information, subject, where necessary, to your consent. Reading Ways may also collect User Personal Information from third parties. We only collect the minimum amount of personal information necessary from you, unless you choose to provide more.
- What information Reading Ways does not collect: We don’t knowingly collect information from children under 13, and we don’t collect Sensitive Personal Information.
- How Reading Ways uses your information: In this section, we describe the ways in which we use your information, including to provide you the Service, to communicate with you, for security and compliance purposes, to improve our Service, for research, and marketing purposes.
How we share the information we collect: We may share your information with third parties under one of the following circumstances: with your consent, with our service providers, for security purposes, to comply with our legal obligations, or when there is a change of control or sale of corporate entities or business units.
We do not sell your personal information and we do not host advertising on Reading Ways.
- Changes to our Privacy Statement: We notify you of material changes to this Privacy Statement 30 days before any such changes become effective.
Privacy StatementEffective date: September 16, 2020
All capitalized terms have their definition in our Terms of Service, unless otherwise noted here.
A. What information Reading Ways collects
"User Personal Information" is any information about one of our Users which could, alone or together with other information, personally identify them or otherwise be reasonably linked or connected with them. Information such as a username and password, an email address, a real name, an Internet protocol (IP) address, and a photograph are examples of “User Personal Information.”
User Personal Information does not include aggregated, non-personally identifying information that does not identify a User or cannot otherwise be reasonably linked or connected with them. We may use such aggregated, non-personally identifying information for research purposes, marketing and to operate, analyze, improve, and optimize our Website and Service.
Information users provide directly to the Reading Ways Learning Platform
- Registration information: We require some basic information at the time of account creation. When you create your own username and password, we ask you for a valid email address.
- Profile information: You may choose to give us more information for your Account profile, such as your full name, an avatar which may include a photograph, your biography, your location, your company, and a URL to a third-party website. This information may include User Personal Information. Please note that your profile information may be visible to other Users of our Service.
Information Reading Ways automatically collects from your use of the Service
- Usage information: If you're accessing our Service or Website, we automatically collect the same basic information that most services collect, subject, where necessary, to your consent. This includes information about how you use the Service, such as the pages you view, the referring site, your IP address and session information, and the date and time of each request. This is information we collect from every visitor to the Website, whether they have an Account or not. This information may include User Personal information.
- Cookies and similar technologies information: As further described below, and subject, where applicable, to your consent, we automatically collect information from cookies and similar technologies (such as cookie ID and settings) to keep you logged in, to remember your preferences, and to identify you and your device.
- Device information: We may collect certain information about your device, such as its IP address, browser or client application information, language preference, operating system and application version, device type and ID, and device model and manufacturer. This information may include User Personal information.
Information we collect from third parties
Reading Ways may collect User Personal Information from third parties. Reading Ways does not purchase User Personal Information from third-party data brokers.
B. What information Reading Ways does not collect
We do not intentionally collect “Sensitive Personal Information”, such as personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation. If you choose to store any Sensitive Personal Information on our servers, you are responsible for complying with any regulatory controls regarding that data.
Reading Ways does not knowingly collect information from or direct any of our content specifically to children under 13. If we learn or have reason to suspect that you are a User who is under the age of 13, we will have to close your Account.
C. How Reading Ways uses your information
- We may use your information for the following purposes:
- We use your Registration Information to create your account, and to provide you the Service.
- We use your User Personal Information, specifically your username, to identify you on Reading Ways.
- We use your Profile Information to fill out your Account profile and to share that profile with other users if you ask us to.
- We use your email address to communicate with you, if you've said that's okay, and only for the reasons you’ve said that’s okay.
- We use User Personal Information to respond to support requests.
- We use User Personal Information and other data to make recommendations for you, such as to suggest projects you may want to follow or contribute to. We learn from your public behavior on Reading Ways—such as the projects you star—to determine your interests, and we recommend similar Resources. These recommendations are automated decisions, but they have no legal impact on your rights.
- We may use User Personal Information to invite you to take part in surveys, beta programs, or other research projects, subject, where necessary, to your consent.
- We use Usage Information and Device Information to better understand how our Users use Reading Ways and to improve our Website and Service.
- We may use your User Personal Information if it is necessary for security purposes or to investigate possible fraud or attempts to harm Reading Ways or our Users.
- We may use your User Personal Information to comply with our legal obligations, protect our intellectual property, and enforce our Terms of Service.
- We limit our use of your User Personal Information to the purposes listed in this Privacy Statement. If we need to use your User Personal Information for other purposes, we will ask your permission first.
- We may use aggregated, non-personally identifying information for research and marketing purposes.
Our legal bases for processing information
- Contract Performance: When you create a Reading Ways Account, you provide your Registration Information. We require this information for you to enter into the Terms of Service agreement with us, and we process that information on the basis of performing that contract. We also process your username and email address on other legal bases, as described below.
- Consent: We rely on your consent to use your User Personal Information under the following circumstances: when you fill out the information in your user profile; when you decide to participate in a Reading Ways training, research project, beta program, or survey; and for marketing purposes, where applicable. All of this User Personal Information is entirely optional, and you have the ability to access, modify, and delete it at any time. While you are not able to delete your email address entirely, you can make it private. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
- Legitimate Interests:Generally, the remainder of the processing of User Personal Information we perform is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interest, for example, for legal compliance purposes, security purposes, or to maintain ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability, and resilience of Reading Ways’s systems, Website, and Service.
If you would like to request deletion of data we process on the basis of consent or if you object to our processing of personal information, please contact us.
D. How we share the information we collect
We may share your User Personal Information with third parties under one of the following circumstances:
- With your consent: We share your User Personal Information, if you consent, after letting you know what information will be shared, with whom, and why.
- With service providers: We share User Personal Information with a limited number of service providers who process it on our behalf to provide or improve our Service, and who have agreed to privacy restrictions similar to the ones in our Privacy Statement by signing data protection agreements or making similar commitments.
- With the administrators of Your Organization: If you were assigned an User Account by your Organization’s administrator, Reading Ways may share your username, Usage Information, and Device Information associated with that Organization with an owner and/or administrator of the Organization
- For legal disclosure: Reading Ways strives for transparency in complying with legal process and legal obligations. Unless prevented from doing so by law or court order, or in rare, exigent circumstances, we make a reasonable effort to notify users of any legally compelled or required disclosure of their information. Reading Ways may disclose User Personal Information or other information we collect about you to law enforcement if required in response to a valid subpoena, court order, search warrant, a similar government order, or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to protect our property or rights, or those of third parties or the public at large.
- Change in control or sale: We may share User Personal Information if we are involved in a merger, sale, or acquisition of corporate entities or business units. If any such change of ownership happens, we will ensure that it is under terms that preserve the confidentiality of User Personal Information, and we will notify you on our Website or by email before any transfer of your User Personal Information. The organization receiving any User Personal Information will have to honor any promises we made in our Privacy Statement or Terms of Service.
Aggregate, non-personally identifying information: We share certain aggregated, non-personally identifying information with others about how our users, collectively, use Reading Ways, or how our users respond to our other offerings, such as our resources.
We do not sell your User Personal Information for monetary or other consideration.
E. Changes to our Privacy Statement
Although most changes are likely to be minor, Reading Ways may change our Privacy Statement from time to time. We will provide notification to Users of material changes to this Privacy Statement through our Website at least 30 days prior to the change taking effect by posting a notice on our home page or sending email to the primary email address specified in your Reading Ways account. For changes to this Privacy Statement that are not material changes or that do not affect your rights, we encourage Users to check our Site Policy frequently.